Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Celebrate the Canter



Today was a day to celebrate, we got to canter for the first time since early December.  My friend Agneta gave me some bling-y bandage fasteners for Christmas, so in honor of cantering for the first time since Cooper got sick, I put them on.  I have been gradually adding more trot to Cooper’s daily work and today I decided to try a little canter. He felt great!  We just went once around the arena in each direction.

Trot exercises: Warm up with some leg yields, then we start trotting some of the same exercises I did at the walk
Half pass away from the track for a couple of strides then leg yield back to the track.
Shoulder-in change to haunches-in
Shoulder-in to renvers.

And, of course, we have started the shortening and lengthening of stride in the trot, just asking for a couple of steps longer, then a couple shorter.  Making sure the rhythm stays the same in both the longer & shorter strides.

No comments:

Post a Comment